Sportscaster George Michael dies

Thursday, December 24, 2009

George Michael
March 24, 1939 - December 24, 2009


One of the most famous and influential sportscasters in the industry passed away this morning. George Michael, out of Washington D.C. lost a battle with cancer at the age of 70. I may not know too much about Michael from a personal angle but I do feel a bit saddened by his loss. I stayed up late Sunday nights to watch Michael's nationally syndicated sports highlight show on NBC 10 in Philadelphia for a long time, even though it was on at 11:30 at night. Philadelphia sports fans may know that local sports radio host Howard Eskin had a featured segment on the George Michale Sports Machine in which he discussed various rumors in the sports world.

Little did I know how ground breaking Michael was in the sports media world. Michael was one of the first to use clips from around the nation in his sports show and he paved the way for shows like Sportscenter and Comcast SportsNite.

I imagine that I can relate to loyal D.C. sports fans who may have grown up with Michael in their lives through the television airwaves. Earlier this year we in the Philadelphia area said good-bye to beloved local sports anchor Gary Papa, who lost a battle with cancer. To those who mourn the loss of Michael I send my sincere apologies for your loss.

George Michael, famed D.C. sportscaster, dies - Adam Bernstein, Washington Post

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP