Six Pack of Picks for the Weekend

Friday, October 02, 2009

I did not fare so well last week with my college picks, with only Shippensburg coming through with a win in a big way. I blew my picks with Penn State and Miami but I feel confident in this weekend's selections. I also went 3-0 with my NFL picks so I am looking to have a repeat performance on the professional level.

With the Philadelphia Eagles having a bye week on Sunday I get to dabble with a bonus NFL game. But of course, as always, I start with the college game.

Illinois (1-2, 0-1 Big Ten) vs. #15 Penn State (3-1, 0-1 Big Ten)
After seemingly having their BCS dreams dashed by Iowa (again) last week, Penn State takes to the road and looks to rebound in a big way. Illinois wide receiver Arrelious BEnn could pose problems for the Nittany Lions so it will be critical for the defense to apply pressure on Illini quarterback Juice Williams. I'll have more on this gae later today on Examiner, but I am going with the Nittany Lions.

C.W. Post (1-4, 1-1 PSAC East) vs. Shippensburg (4-1, 2-0 PSAC East)
The surprising Red Raiders take their show back on the road to the state of New York as they play C.W. Post in Long Island for the first time since 1981 - what a year that must have been! Ship is coming off a big win last weekend, scoring the most points in ten years under head coach Rocky Reese. C.W. Post has played a tough schedule, losing to IUP, Edinboro and Bloomsburg and Ship has turned some heads in the PSAC East. A win Saturday is the next step toward a high profile showdown against West Chester in a c couple weeks. I'm going to continue to raise my flag for Ship.

#24 Cal (3-1, 0-1 PAC 10) vs. #7 USC (3-1, 1-1 PAC 10)
This game should have been receiving more attention, but Cal got blown out by Oregon last week. After being deemed as a team that could dethrone the Trojans, Cal laid an egg against the Ducks and now are looking for a way to come back with a statement win. Cal running back Jahvid Best is the best in the country, but don't you think USC will know that? I'm not sold on the Trojans with a freshman quarterback and he could stumble here. I'll go with the home town Golden Bears in this California show down.

On to the NFL sans the Eagles...

Houston Texans (1-2) vs. Oakland Raiders (1-2)
Since the Eagles are off I will go with the Houston Texans as my adopted home team this week. Matt Schaub has put up some wonderful numbers this season and if not for a fumble in the end-zone last week by running back Chris Brown (should have given the ball to Steve Slaton IMHO) the Texans would probably be 2-1. Luckily for them the Raiders are coming to town and they appear to be a mess of a tam like usual.

New Orleans Saints (3-0) vs. New York Jets (3-0)
The Jets have been a personal annoyance for me so far this season. I have picked against them each week in my football pool and each time I have been wrong. To pour salt on the wound of missing the Jets picks, former USC quarterback, who was previously seen carving up the Penn State secondary in the Rose Bowl, is the man leading the team on the field. Time to give him credit though; good job Mark Sanchez, but I'm still picking against you and your team this weekend. The Saints offense is probably the best in the NFL and playing at home they are always tough. Saints win this battle of unbeatened.

Minnesota Vikings (3-0) vs. Green Bay Packers (2-1)
(Monday Night)

This game has ben circled on NFL schdules all over for a long time and it is all because of Brett Favre. ESPN is sure to give you more than enough of a Favre fix, so I will not overload you on this game. Instead I will tell you that I am picking Favre and the Vikings at home in the highl anticipated match-up of NFC Central (ye, I still call it that, not the NFC North) rivals.

NFL SUICIDE PICK
Chicago Bears
The Detroit Lions won their first game since the 2007 season last week. I do not think they are ready to win two games in a row just yet. Have to pick Da Bears this week, 842-3.

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP