The Flyers open their season tonight!

Friday, October 02, 2009

I understand. The Phillies are once again taking over October (hopefully for the whole month) and deservedly so. But it should be noted that the Flyers are opening up their season tonight and there is a sense of excitement surrounding them this year!

As you know I am a Flyers fan, although I typically do not get in full hockey mode until after the football season concludes. I generally do not mention them many times on this site until the post season but I will make a concerted effort to mention them from time to time.

I am looking forward to seeing Mike Richards and Jeff Carter with another year under their belt but I am most excited about new players like defenseman Chris Pronger and goalie Ray Emery. There is also a legitimate buzz surrounding James van Riemsdyk. And do not forget about Claude Giroux.

Sports Illustrated has the Flyers finishing in second place in the Atlantic Division behind the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.

Taking a page from my fellow blogger enthusiast Will, even though he is a Capitals fan, I thought I would share a couple of the Flyers outlets that I tend to follow for the best coverage.

Philly.com is he most obvious starting point, featuring fresh content from The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Philly Daily News. Sam Carchidi of the Inquirer can be found blogging on the site. This is Carchidi's first season on the Flyers beat, but he has followed the team since the birth of the franchise. Should be interesting. Daily News Flyers beat reporter Frank Seravalli has you covered from the other paper.

Comcast Sportsnet also is a great source of Flyers information, with Tim Panaccio leading the way. Here is his Flyers season preview, and below is the video that accompanies it...



If you are looking for some good solid blogs to follow here are a couple that I follow with a casual interest;
Broad Street Hockey - a member of SB Nation, these guys always pump out quality information
Flyers Hive - Highly interactive Flyers fan site entering their ninth year
FlyerFlies - This is actually a forum, but it seems to have decent conversation going on
FlyersPhans - another well run forum for Flyers fans

Though I have not posted anything on either of the above forums as of yet, I am registered with them. I go by my Twitter name on both forums, which I generally use for most forums I belong too in case you are looking. You should also check out The 700 Level and Phinally Philly for their Flyers coverage. Each site does a nice job.

I am not much of a predictor when it comes to hockey, but I like the Flyers' chances this season, as long as they stay healthy (I'm looking at YOU Danny Briere). As much as I will be consumed with Penn State and the latest post season run by the Phillies, it is a good feeling to have Flyers hockey back.

The first puck drops tonight in Carolina.

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP