Political Moment

Thursday, September 04, 2008



Tonight the hoopla that is national conventions ends when Senator John McCain will officially accept the nomination from the Republican party to run for President of the United States. Last week Senator Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination.

John McCain threw a twist into the cocktail of the election when he announced that little known Alaska governor Sarah Palin would be his running mate. A-WHA??? The critics were quick to question the move whether it be about her inexperience on such a stage worthy of a position of Vice President and about her ability to raise her children while on the job. you have to admit, the mother question is a bit absurd. Nobody ever questioned Obama's ability to raise his two girls or John F. Kennedy's ability to be a father to his children, right?

I found it a little off that the Republican National Convention's theme was Service, something I have always been a fan of on various levels. What the real goal seems to be is to show how much service McCain has given to the United States, whether it be his time in the military or in politics and compare that to Obama's record. The irony is that Obama has built his career based around service starting out as a city planner in Chicago. So why would the Republicans then go out and mock that position? Doesn't make sense to me.

The truth is I am tired of hearing Republicans mock Obama's campaign and belittle the work he has done and his plans for the future and instead want to hear more about what the Republicans want to do. Give me something worth learning about. I already know about McCain's wartime history and belief that somehow if Obama wins the election that America will fall to a level on par with third world countries when it comes to security. Does anybody really believe that this country will be a wuss if Obama is elected? Are we just going to throw away all of our weapons if Obama is elected like they did in The Simpsons Movie?

Probably not.

What I am looking for from McCain tonight is more details on his plan on how he will get things done if elected. I am sure there will be plenty of "Nobama" rhetoric spewed form the mouth of McCain, just as Obama did in his speech towards McCain, but up until this point I have heard nothing about what this possible administration will actually do.

I realize more and more each day that Barack Obama is my delegate of choice, but I didn't realize how much until I took the survey at Who Should You Vote For? My results;

Who should you vote for?
Barack Obama78
John McCain9
You expected: Barack Obama
Your recommendation: Barack Obama

Party: Democratic


Admittedly though I do find some areas where McCain may be better suited as President. I can't wait for the day when Osama Bin Laden is captured and put through the same humiliated ordeal that Saddam Hussein went through. Bin Laden is a bad man, a very bad man and I can't understand why it has taken the Bush administration so long to find him. It feels as though they gave up on it. I do think that McCain would be more likely to get that job done than Obama. But that is just about it.

Besides, on the real important issues, Michelle Obama is by far more pleasant to look at than Cindy McCain.

Political Positions of John McCain
Political Positions of Barack Obama

Still though, I take the position that I want to learn and hear form both sides as much as possible until election day. Maybe I have made up my mind, but maybe my neighbor hasn't. I continue to urge people to get informed about both candidates and find the right candidate for you!


Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP