I Was Close

Thursday, September 18, 2008


But not close enough. On Thursday morning I called in to the Preston and Steve show in Philadelphia and played trombone for a chance to perform on stage with Weezer for a couple songs. I admit I was nervous and my throat went dry, leading me to mess up on a couple of notes for the song I chose to play for my brief audition.

Five people called in when it was announced they were looking for brass musicians. Three people called in to play trumpet and two people, myself included, called to play trombone. Everybody played a Weezer song, but seeing as I was doing this on a whim and didn't have much time to prepare, I was stumped. I don't know how to play any Weezer songs!

So when it was my turn I played the Super Mario Brothers theme, something I have played probably a hundred times through the years. I was stumped on what to play on a moment's notice. I wanted something that people might recognize, something I knew how to play, and something that might seem somewhat challenging. I messed up a couple times which probably cost me. I think I missed being picked by a score of 3-2, a decision made by the Preston and Steve hosts. It was embarrassing for me, but I gave it a shot.

I know that it was not my best playing, by far and I wish I could have a second shot at it. I would nail it. But it's not meant to be I guess. Maybe I should have gone with Sell Out or Make Me Smile. I wasn't sure I could do those out of nowhere it has been so long since I played either.

Congratulations to the two who did get picked, whoever you may be. Enjoy the experience!

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP