Some CAPTCHAs make me thankful for good eyes!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I understand the purpose of CAPTCHAs but sometimes it goes too far!

What are CAPTCHAs?
I'll allow The Official CAPTCHA Site to answer this one...

A CAPTCHA is a program that protects websites against bots by generating and grading tests that humans can pass but current computer programs cannot. For example, humans can read distorted text as the one shown below, but current computer programs can't:

CAPTCHA example

The term CAPTCHA (for Completely Automated Public Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart) was coined in 2000 by Luis von Ahn, Manuel Blum, Nicholas Hopper and John Langford of Carnegie Mellon University.


No big deal when the CAPTCHA device is similar in fashion, and readability, as the one above. But what happens when a CAPTCHA like the one below is thrown at you?

"1GDWQG"? Or is it "lGQWQ6"?

Is that really necessary? Needless to say, I got this one wrong the other day. So I got this one instead...

22MQLTN

At least the second one was a little easier to read. I was able to move on with my second try. even with my 20/20 eye sight I find it tough to read some of these sometimes. Is it really necessary to make these CAPTCHAs so hard to read? Sometimes I feel like I'm staring at one of those old 3D images that you have to focus past the page to figure these out!

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP