Eagles rally again, Grandpop wins $2.00

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Redskins could not escape the impending
doom of the big, bad Eagles. AP Photo


Against Redskins, Eagles rally but suffer key injuries - Les Bowen, Philly.com
Close call: Eagles eke out win over Redskins - Andy Scwartz, CSNPhilly.com
Eagles rally for another ate win - Rob Maadi (AP), via Yahoo Sports

It was not pretty, but a win is a win. Right?

Starting the game with an on sides kick? When was the last time that worked for Andy Reid? Honestly I do not remember it working since opening day in Dallas back in the Duce Staley era. against the woeful Redskins I really do not understand the logic in starting the game that way.

For the second straight week the Eagles entered the fourth quarter trailing and once again Donovan McNabb guided the offense down field when they really needed it to score the winning points. That's good.

When the offense was driving with some of their best momentum all game Reid sent in Michael Vick for a play. The result? As is typical for Vick, a poor pass on the run that falls incomplete. Luckily for Reid and the Eagles, McNabb came back in and was able to keep the drive moving.

Let me be clear. I was never a fan of Vick but I was in support of him getting a second chance in the NFL, even if it were with the Eagles. I even went so far to say that it was a bold and positive move by the Eagles organization. But entering December my expectations for how Vick would be involved in the game plan has fallen well short of what my imagination lead me to believe. So my question is this; Is Vick simply not good enough to be involved in the offense or are the Eagles not using him properly?

As noted in one of the above headlines, the Eagles took some crucial hits Sunday.

Brent Celek, who has quickly become one of my favorite Eagles, has torn tendons in his thumb. Broderick Bunkley has an ankle injury. But most alarming to me is the injury to wide receiver DeSean Jackson.

Eagles Notes: concussion for DeSean Jackson - Jeff McClane, Philadelphia Inquirer

Reid said in his post game press conference that while Jackson did suffer a concussion in the game, it is not as serious as the concussion issues running back Brian Westbrook (who did not play) has been battling. I hope not. In this day and age concussions are scarier than ever before. Given the history of concussions for Philadelphia athletes, here's hoping Jackson is ok.

Grandpop wins $2.00

Each NFL season my grand pop, a loyal Eagles fan, and his brother (my "Great" Uncle Tom), a devout Redskins fan, bet $1 on each Eagles-Redskins game. At the end of the season one brother must pay the other the debts from the bets. This year, with the Eagles having swept their NFC East rivals, Grandpop wins $2.00!

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP