Google honors Sesame Street

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Like you most likely did, I grew up watching Sesame Street. Remarkably the 40th anniversary for the television show designed to educate and entertain kids is creeping up on us all. November 10th will mark the milestone but the good folks at Google cleverly decided to send an early anniversary present to Big Bird and company.

Coincidentally I recently took in a great exhibit at the James A. Michener Art Museum in Norristown, Pa. The Smithsonian's traveling exhibit titled Jim Henson's Fantastic World will be on hand until the end of November and I naturally encourage you to go check it out (we actually ran into my cousins at the exhibit)!

Sadly I could not take any pictures of the exhibit itself. If I were allowed I surely would have shared a photo of a Bert Muppet from the 1970's and an Ernie Muppet from the 1980's (my time frame). Also on display was a Rowlph the Dog (which I always assumed was spelled "Ralph" for some reason), Gobo Fraggle and Cantus the Minstrel (a character I honestly do not remember at all) from Fraggle Rock, and of course a vintage Kermit the Frog.

Did you know that the original Kermit Muppet was created using an old green coat that belonged to Henson's mother? And a simple ping pong ball was split in half to be used to make the eyes.

There is no denying the universal love for the Muppets, whether they are the ones from Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show or Sesame Street, but the exhibit has so much more to offer for those looking to get a glimpse of the great mind of Henson.

Aside form a number of items from more involving Henson movies and short films with a cult following, there are a large number of sketches that show you the creation of many of the iconic characters. My personal favorite was the sketches and old documentation that brought Cookie Monster, my favorite Sesame Street character, to the character he is today. did you know Cookie Monster used to have teeth?

If you are not near the current stop for the exhibit in Norristown, Pa be sure to see if the exhibit will be making a stop near you. Click here for the tour schedule. The tour wraps up in January of 2011 so if you can, go see it while you can!

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP