Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss

Monday, March 02, 2009


What did you have breakfast? Had I realized that today was Dr. Seuss' birthday I likely would have prepared some green eggs. Sadly, we are out of ham today.

Who has not read or had a Dr. Seuss book read to them? Today the world celebrates the birthday of a man who made reading fun.

Theodore Seuss Geisel was born on this date in 1904. He worked as an illustrator for advertising agencies but is best known for his children's books that used rhyme and rhythm to create a unique reading experience.

I only recall owning three Dr. Seuss books; The Cat in the Hat, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, and my personal favorite Green Eggs and Ham. I fondly remember the enthusiasm my dad would have while reading Green Eggs and Ham to me and I find myself reciting some of the lines in certain situations on occasion.

What I identify most with the Dr. Seuss books though is the unique character designs. The characters in the Seuss books always looked strange to me. Many had bird like features with feathery skin and beak like noses. Of course this was not the case in my favorite Seuss books mentioned above. In fact the "normal" characters seemed to have cat like faces. Noses were almost non existent on characters like Sam.

Schools across the nation will celebrate the legendary author's birthday by gathering around wearing tall red and white striped hats reading The Cat in the Hat. But don't forget about some other Seuss classics...

  • Hop on Pop
  • Horton Hears a Who
  • If I Ran the Zoo
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas
What are some of your favorite Dr. Seuss books?

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP