Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today is St. Patrick's Day and as I am of the Irish descent I take pride in this day. To celebrate I turned the green switch on here, giving this site a green background for the day.

At the same time that I take pride in my Irish heritage on this national holiday in Ireland, I also become disgusted with the non Irish people who make a mockery of the day. Yes, today is a traditional feast day but St. Patrick's Day has become synonymous with over excessive drinking and debauchery. The stereotypes of the Irish are taken too far. Not all Irish are drunken incoherent slobs who are looking for a fight.

I am not here to tell you how to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but I find it funny when people with absolutely no Irish descent "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day. Isn't there anyone who know what St. Patrick's Day is all about?

Sure Charlie Brown. I can tell you what St. Patrick's Day is all about. Lights please?

March 17 is the date that Saint Patrick of Ireland is believed to have died. Saint Patrick was originally named Maewyn and as a 16 year old from Wales Maewyn was kidnapped by Irish marauders. During his six years of captivity Maewyn had a religious experience that would lead him to study in a monastery. His name would change to Patrick and he would continue his monastery studies despite being pursued by druids who wanted to arrest him.

Patrick is the single most influential person in Ireland's history as he helped to start churches, baptized children and ushered in Christianity to the green country. By the year 700 Ireland was a country dominated by Christianity. And it is largely credit to Saint Patrick.

But enough of the history lesson for today. Go have a bowl of Lucky Charms, wash it down with a Shamrock Shake, and later tonight relax with a nice pint of Guinness. I hear it's good for you.

Check back later today for a post with a bunch of pictures that I took while in Ireland back in the summer of 2000.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP