Tribute to Richie Ashburn

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Born on this day in 1927.

Richie Ashburn helped me become the Phillies fan I am today. He taught me a lot about the game, its history, and the Phillies through the television at a time when I was really forming my true fandom for the Phillies.

I will always remember the day I learned he had passed away. My dad had picked me up from marching band practice and I heard the news on the radio. It was a sad day for Phillies fans. Watching the game that night on TV with the Phillies up in New York to play the Mets was strange.

I still miss Ashburn on the television broadcast and wish he could still be with us. I wish Stef had a chanc to hear Ashburn on tv. As much as she likes Gary Mathews I know she would love Ashburn as much as any Phillies fan did. Although he was planning to retire from broadcasting after the 1997 season anyway I wonder what he would have had to say about the 2008 team and the remarkable season they had.

Here's to you Whitey!

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP