Not my uncle, Mark McGwire admits to have used steroids

Monday, January 11, 2010

Big news on the baseball front today as Mark McGwire, who once owned the single season home run record, admitted to steroid use during his career, including the record smashing 1998 season.

Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire says in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade and he apologizes for his actions.

He says: "I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."
[link]


If this is the case then I would hope that the powers that be in baseball strike McGwire's numbers form the record books in an official manner. Never before has a player admitted to using steroids during such a notable season, and since McGwire, who has absolutely NO RELATION to me, has singled out one specific season I see no reason why this can not be done.



Many will applaud McGwire for coming clean to one of the worst kept secrets in baseball history. While I will not laud a guy for admitting to cheating in his sport I will get off his back for not doing so. Now that he has come clean though there will likely be some people that feel he should now be considered for the Hall of Fame.



No dice.



The man admitted to cheating in multiple seasons during what many once felt was a Hall of Fame career. He may have been a legitimately good player on his own merit at one point in his life, but there is now no question that he should never be elected to the Hall of Fame.



That's how I feel about it at least. What do you think?

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP