Happy Birthday Julius Errrrrrrving!

Monday, February 22, 2010


Dr. J was born on this day in 1950.


I may have never watched Dr. J play the game of basketball (I did not become remotely interested in the round ball until well after he retired) but I obviously have a tremendous amount of respect for the Sixers legend.

I was fortunate to hear Erving speak a few years back at Shippensburg University as the highlight of a minority scholarship dinner. My favorite story he told that night was how he first met Bill Cosby. I do not remember the exact story but it was back in his college days at UMass. He went to the locker room to get ready for a game or something and who is sitting there in the hot tub but the Philadelphia comedy legend himself. The biggest compliment that Erving ever received was right there in the hot tub when Cosby said he had heard of him and liked his game. Erving was floored!

Erving also starred in a video game with Larry Bird, before Michael Jordan replaced him in the NES version of the game. Enjoy this Commodore 64 footage, which I believe my childhood friend Jody had at his home, of One-on-One.

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP