The Great Scan Project

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It is obvious that we live in a digital world. Nobody is developing film anymore. Instead they are taking in their digital memory cards and selecting which pictures they want to print. Nobody is using a VCR anymore. Instead they are using DVR, Tivo, or DVD-RW to record their favorite TV shows. Nobody uses CD's anymore. Instead they listen to their ipods. So this is why I have made the following decision.

Today is the day I am about to embark on a time consuming photo archiving project. This is not something I will be centering my schedules around, but instead will be a way to kill some time here and there and take a trip down memory lane. What am I talking about you ask?

I have a box full of photographs from my past. I'm talking a couple photo albums, about 20 packs of developed photos, and a shoe box of random photos. Since I have a terrific scanner, which Stef and I found a great deal on from Amazon, I am going to scan a large majority of the photos and back them up in digital format.

I have no time line for this project. I have no deadline. When it gets done, it gets done.

Here is the basic outline for what I am envisioning;

1. Scan photo(s) and save to hard drive.
2. Fix up photo in Photoshop.
3. Save fixed up photo.
4. Divide into appropriate folders (Scotland vacation, Ireland vacation, Disney World, high school etc.)
5. Back up to CD (or likely DVD)
6. Upload to Flickr.
7. Retire

I do not know exactly how many photos I have, but I'll try updating you on the progress periodically with updated stats. I'll set the over/under at 1500 photos. What do you think?


Day 11

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP