Tuesday Afternoon Rants, Accolades, Thoughts and Worries

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

So yesterday I wasted my afternoon with Grand Slam Events, who turned out to be a prospective employer that was nothing like what I thought. I was lead to believe they were a public relations company promoting events such as conventions, fairs, and sports teams. Boy was that ever wrong. Turns out they are one of those pyramid scheme companies in which they fund raise outside of drug and grocery stores, selling t-shirts, mugs, Crayola products in an effort to raise money to fund non-profit groups such as D.A.R.E.

Now, I'm all for supporting D.A.R.E. and other programs such as Toys for Tots, another of the big programs supported through Grand Slam Events. However, if I want to sell Crayola products, I'll stick with my job with Staples.

I didn't sleep very much Sunday night, thanks in part to a mistake 40 minute nap after 7pm. I would have much preferred taking a nap after work on Monday afternoon, knowing that I was going to be up late watching the Eagles on Monday Night Football.

While we are on the topics of valuable time wasted, I watched the entire Eagles game last night and in having opposite feelings I was feeling during the Phillies game in St. Louis, I could have sworn the Eagles were going to pull it out. Meanwhile in St. Louis, once Charlie Manuel got scared that Kyle Kendrick gave up 3 runs, cutting the Phillies lead to a mere 8 runs, he went to his shut down, end-the-game-right-now, automatic bullpen. So much for resting your bullpen.

Final score; Phills - 13, Cardinals - 11.

Aaron Rowand, you are the savior for your likely game saving catch in the 8th and following it up with an insurance home run.


But the Phillies remain in the playoff hunt, but the schedule is not their friend. If only we could play the Mets for the rest of the season...

-------------------------------------------
Comcast DVR is great. Since getting it I have been able to record shows I normally missed. I have now seen shows such as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Joe Paterno press conferences, The Penn State Football Story, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (the BBC version), as well as saving some movies that I would like to watch when there is time. The best part yet was last night.

In years past if there were two shows on that I like at the same time, the VCR would have to be set to tape one while I watch the other, and I'll watch the taped show the next day or so. Eventually the VCR was replaced by Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition. Last night Windows was replaced by DVR. Prison Break debuted last night, and about a half hour into the show the Eagles would play on Monday Night. Rather than divide my attention and flip back and forth, I recorded the Eagles game with the DVR and watched Prison Break uninterrupted, except for commercials when I would flip to the Phillies. Once Prison Break was over, I would load up my saved recordings and select the Eagles game and start watching it as if it were live. The game was still recording while I was watching the same recording. Thus I could fast forward through commercials and lulls in the broadcast until I caught up to the live action.

Brilliant!

As for Prison Break, I am having doubts about how the third season will go. I have been loyal to the show since the beginning but fear that recycling the storyline of having a brother in prison needing to find a way out with his brother's aide may suffer a little bit. Theodore has already put himself in position of prison bitch to the man who seems to be widely considered the leader in the prison, who also has an issue with Michael. Let's face it, Scofield always had problems making friends. But I know his old enemies are soon going to be his strongest allies in the Panama prison. Mahoney saved Scofield once already after giving him fight advice and I'm sure he will be an important asset for Michael as the season unfolds. I kind of feel sorry for Billick, although we were always supposed to not like him. I felt bad for him once before when he was at his mother's house and had just been sent home from Fox River. But then he went and became a bad guy again fast so all sorry feelings went down the drain.

Next week will be interesting when Fernando Sucre returns. I have a feeling that he is going to do something wrong in Panama and become the next inmate at Sona. Maybe not in his first episode, but in the next couple weeks. We all know Michael needs Sucre.

I covered a lot of ground today I think. Time to close this with one final thought.

It is Tuesday and I am already dreading Saturday's Penn State game at Michigan. I am not alone either.

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP