R.I.P. Aunt Helen

Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'll warn you that I may ramble in this post more than in others, because I'm not sure how to structure what I'm about to say yet. I hope you understand.

So today was the funeral services for my Aunt Helen, my grandmother's older sister. I was able to rework my schedule to get down to Chester for most of the memorial activities, something I wasn't able to do when my Uncle Vaughn, Aunt Helen's husband, had passed away my freshman year at Shippensburg. Having missed that previous service I felt it necessary to make it down for this one. My cousins Lee and Evan were mourning the loss of another grandparent, and I have been fortunate enough not to have had to deal with such a loss yet.

The last time I went to a viewing was for my Aunt Donna's mother a couple years ago. Before that was for Bill Dean's son. Before that my friend's grandfather. Before that and it starts to get hazy. It's hard not to hate these services, but always remember that the family and close friends are thankful. Even if you just show up, you are showing your support for the family and their loss.

Earlier this week my best friend had gone through a similar situation earlier this week with his fiance's mother. Throw in the anniversary of September 11 and we have on our hands what seems to be a down week. I can't speak for what happened at the services my friend had to go through, and I'm not sure how everybody reacts to September 11 anymore, but what I witnessed at the services for my Aunt Helen was somewhat remarkable.

What I found remarkable was the good spirits many seemed to be in. People laughed as they exchanged stories and I suppose that is also the reason for these services. Remember the good times. I hope I have a long happy life in front of me, but I hope that whenever the day comes that there are many people who will come and share a happy story about me. I'm not a religious person but I can appreciate the symbolism that is demonstrated and the lessons that are taught and the importance they serve in many people's lives. The pastor for today ended his service with an anecdote about a ship.

When a ship goes out to see, one might think that once it disappears on the horizon that it is gone. Gone where? Somebody waiting on the other coast may be saying "Here comes the ship!" When one person passes on, they may be leaving our lives, but there are old friends, family and loved ones waiting for that person on the other side that will be just as happy to see them.

I hope that my Aunt Helen has found her husband and other friends and family as she has now left our lives on this planet.

Blogged with Flock

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP