NASCAR NAS

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

NASCAR NAS? What is NAS? "NAS" is a little acronym I like to use, representing my feelings towards such activities that I deem to be "Not A Sport." I have had this argument many times so get in your corner and act like a lightweight going against a heavy weight, because I'm coming out swinging.

I base my argument based on the definition of the very word "sport". The source for today will be dictionary.com, which defines "sport as:

sport Audio pronunciation of "sport" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spĂ´rt, sprt)
n.
    1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2. A particular form of this activity.
  1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
  2. An active pastime; recreation.
I also throw in that I have classifications of sports, and they stem down to two basic categories; Category A Sport, and Category B sport. Creative, huh? In order for the greatest sports all over the world to be considered a top notch sport, you want to fall under Category A classification. Category A sports are your real sports such as football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and so on. Category B sports contain all other athletic competitions such as swimming, distance running, slalom, and so on. Let's examine each before we go on.

Category A Sports
The qualifications to b Category A are simple.
  • There must be two (or more) teams or individuals competing against each other head on. The outcome of one team directly affects the opposing team (Example: One team scores, the other is immediately behind, no questions asked). This means there are no judges giving scores (umpires and officials are allowed for rule enforcement)
  • Defense. There must be a recognizable sense of a defense that the plain eye can see. In most cases this is obvious because one team will control the ball (or puck) in an attempt to score. Baseball is the rare exception where the defense actually controls the ball at all times.
  • Physical exertion must be evident.
  • No points systems to determine leaders or champions or rankings. Head to head competition is the only way to judge who the better team is.
Category B Sports
The qualifications for Category B sports are made to state that while not a top notch sport, they are in deed still a sport.
  • Head-to-head competition in a different sense. The actions of one team may not directly affect the opposition, but it is clear that one team or individual can out perform the other. Swimming is the best example of this. While one swimmer may be late to dive in, it does not mean the other swimmers were directly affected by this.
  • Time may be used to determine winners and losers. Fastest times usually win, but longest times can be used in certain situations.
  • Again, no judges allowed.
  • Physical exertion must be evident.
And this brings me to the NAS classification. Can anybody argue that auto racing falls into one of these categories? Please try. I admit I am biased because I choose not to ever sit and watch cars go around in circles until somebody finishes (except slot car racing - that can be fun!). But I firmly believe that my categories of sports should be the universal classification from here on.

I continue to cringe and roll my eyes EVERY time that my sports programming world continues to say (more like cram down my throat) that auto racing is a sport. It simply is not. If millions of people do it every day for convenience, travel, or running errands, it is not a sport. Driving is not a sport. Stop me if I've said this enough.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch some World Series of Poker on ESPN.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP