Why I love Chase Utley

Thursday, January 14, 2010



I have a feeling the "Chase Utley you are the man!" expression has become my generation's Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points game.

When Wilt scored his 100 points in Hershey Arena in 1962 it was attended by 4,124 fans but there are probably hundreds of thousands of fans who remember being there. I may not be able to tell you exactly where I was when Utley hustled to the point where Harry Kalas was going nuts with enthusiasm for the second baseman, but I know I watched it when it happened. When Kalas proclaimed Utley to be "the man" I knew I had just heard Kalas make one of the most famous calls if his legendary career.

Yesterday The Fightins posted the above video flashback that every Phillies fan surely thinks they remember. Stop by the popular Phillies blog for a little more background on the sequence of events that culminated in the second best call of the decade by Kalas as well as a follow up video.

Blog Archive

Statistics Tracked By

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, modified by Kevin McGuire.

Back to TOP